Twig Technology

[...] incredibly interested in all the things you could do with twigs.

Invalid Byte Sequence in UTF-8

| Comments

I finally made the switch to octopress this week, and when I was importing some old blog posts, I got this gem of an error message:

YAML Exception reading 2012-05-28-prefix-search.markdown: invalid byte
sequence in UTF-8

That’s surprisingly useless when you’re not telling me what line it’s on! The ruby callstack also does nothing! There is literally no other way to fix this than to bisect the blog post and rebuild the blog after each change, which currently takes 80 seconds. After a lot of waiting, I finally naoorwed it down to a single unicode \240 whitespace character that somehow snuck into the text during the export from tumblr.

Ruby is not scoring any points in my book today.